viernes, 18 de abril de 2014

Nobody said it would be easy!

(To Brian for helping me with this entry. )

Toward the end of 2011, I was required to present my Bachelor thesis, however, due to the widespread student protest, my University was shut down for four months.  Because of this we had to postpone all the deadline dates.  I was quite overstressed over these events I had a panic attack! After all, how would I be able to present a valid thesis if the Universities were closed?

When the second semester started at UCN, the University in which I was enrolled, I considered the idea of discontinuing my studies for a while. I was scared for the idea of present a bad thesis as a consequence of the students disturbances I had been left with insufficient time to prepare an adequate thesis and I did not want to present a poor one. And I didn't know what to do in the future. What would I do? Was I sure of do a Master in physics?

Fortunately, my thesis advisor took heed of my dilemma and was highly critical of my idea of discontinuing my studies... she punished me and told me that the idea of stop my studies was stupid. 
She insisted that I continue working on my thesis and encouraged me that I was more than capable of doing so despite the loss of time. She told me that I could do it!

Due to she scared me more than the fact of didn't know what do with my life after my Bachelor, I continued working. Later, the life showed me that this was the best choice that I could do. In January of 2012 I met a University of Concepcion professor who was a personal friend of my advisor. He became my co-tutor and talked to me about the possibility of continuing my Master's studies at the University of Concepcion. He eventually persuaded me of this and in March of 2012, one month before finish my thesis, I had a plan for my future. And I was happy.


Without the advice of this advisor, I would have probably finished my thesis some six months later, I would not be studying here in Concepcion and this blog would not exist!

Now, in the semester that I have to finish my thesis, I'm afraid again! I find myself confronted with a similar dilemma. Shall I pursue a PhD degree?  I have no idea!!!!!

A few months ago I had "organized" my future life. Maybe, these plans were good for my "career", but did not take into account my other dreams and my happiness. So even today,  as disorganized as my life appears to be, I can take my dreams and choose which is the way that would make me happy. And this is the hard part. What if I make a mistake?

Well, I think the best thing to do for now is to not get overly anxious about these many choices and just wait that the chaos passes! I trust that life has a way of solving its own problems (I  really need to be zen and just go with the flow). And I have been avoiding thinking about these "problems" by working hard on my thesis ("working hard") or reading books (my friends lent me a lot of Teenage novels!).
I certainly cannot go crying to my advisor. If he knew that I was worried about my thesis he would have a panic attack as well!!!!

My ex-advisor is not here for give me a good advice and encourage me. Now I must rely upon my friends and my own personal convictions to motivate me to pursue my dreams. Sometimes life can surprise you with good things, I want good things in my life now :).

I.

1 comentario:

  1. Todo lo que dices te hace ver lo humana que eres , ,miedos , incertidumbres, pero siempre adelante,,Eres mas fuerte de lo que sabes que eres solo que te confundes, cuando aprendas a darte cuenta que todo lo que deseas esta en ti y que vales mas de lo que ves, y que el miedo es parte de tu existencia ahi podras decidir que hacer,, aunque no lo creas estas a un paso de ello,, sigue asi adelante el mundo aun no se acaba ,tkm

    ResponderEliminar